Members: Siamak Faal, Fuchen Chen, Shadi Tasdighikalat
• S.G. Faal, F. Chen, W. Tao, M. Agheli, S. Tasdighikalat, C.D. Onal, "Hierarchical Kinematic Design of Foldable Hexapedal Locomotion Platforms", ASME Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics, 8:011005-1, (2016).
• C.D. Onal, M.T. Tolley, R.J. Wood, D. Rus, "Origami-Inspired Printed Robots", IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, (2015).
• M. Agheli, S.G. Faal, F. Chen, H. Gong, C.D. Onal, "Design and Fabrication of a Foldable Hexapod Robot Towards Experimental Swarm Applications", IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), (2014).
• D.E. Soltero, B. Julian, C.D. Onal, D. Rus, "A Lightweight Modular 12-DOF Print-And-Fold Hexapod", IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), (2013).
• C.D. Onal, R.J. Wood, D. Rus, "An Origami-Inspired Approach to Worm Robots", IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 18 (2), 430-438 (2013).
Soft Robotic Snake
For a mobile robot undergoing serpentine locomotion, an accurate dynamic model is a fundamental requirement for optimization, control, navigation, and learning algorithms. Such algorithms can be readily implemented for traditional rigid robots, but remain a challenge for nonlinear and low-bandwidth soft robotic systems. Our work addresses the theoretical modeling of the dynamics of a pressure-operated soft snake robot. A general framework is detailed to solve the 2D modeling problem of a soft snake robot, which is applicable to most pressure-operated soft robots developed by a modular kinematic arrangement of bending-type fluidic elastomer actuators. The model is simulated using measured physical parameters of a soft snake robot prototype. The theoretical results are verified through a detailed comparison to locomotion experiments on a flat surface with measured frictional properties.
Members: Ming Luo, Selim Ozel, Weijia Tao
• M. Luo, W. Tao, F. Chen, T.K. Khuu, S. Ozel, C.D. Onal, "Design Improvements and Dynamic Characterization on Fluidic Elastomer Actuators for a Soft Robotic Snake", IEEE International Conference on Technologies for Practical Robot Applications (TePRA), (2014).
• M. Luo, M. Agheli, C.D. Onal, "Theoretical Modeling and Experimental Analysis of a Pressure-Operated Soft Robotic Snake", Soft Robotics, 1(2):136-146 (2014).
• C.D. Onal, D. Rus, "Autonomous Undulatory Serpentine Locomotion Utilizing Body Dynamics of a Fluidic Soft Robot", Bioinspiration & Biomimetics, 8 (2), 026003 (2013).